Thursday, June 23, 2011

BEAN SOUP-SOUP'S ON

I got up this morning ready to tear into my canning.  The beans stayed very hot in the crock pot overnight.  I put water into the canner, set it to heat, got my handy dandy tools out and was all set to "get er done."  Got the lids out and couldn't find the rings.  I know I have wide mouth rings here...somewhere.  Rather than waste time looking for rings I ran out to the store to get a box of rings and lids.  As I was going through the automatic doors they came back and hit me...ouch!  I did get the lids and rings.

Away we go!  Everything is ready and the beans, lids and rings went into the big pressure cooker.  It built up pressure very fast.  Too fast.  I had trouble regulating the pressure.  At one point the pressure was up to 30 pounds.  I turned it off and moved the pressure cooker to a smaller burner.  Even so, it was hard to keep the pressure regulated.  I watched it like cat trying to catch a bird.  I let it run a little overtime just to be sure that all little pathogens, fungus's or mold met their demise.  Done

I have 6 pints and one qt. of bean soup.  They all sealed well and they should have, at one point at 30 pounds of pressure.  The soup is a little darker than what you get from a can because I added 2 pouches of onion soup.  My house smells of onion soup and beans.

I need to get a new sealing ring for the canner.  I was going to do that last summer, but forgot.  I will also get a new safety plug. 

This canner is over sixty years old.  My mother used it when I was small and did a lot of canning on an old wood stove. After she passed away no one seemed to want it.  After several years I brought it home with me.  I sent away for the parts that were needed and got it into canning shape.  Then...others wanted it.  So sorry...they could have had it way back when. 

I will wait a couple of days and then  can some Barley Soup, but I won't take any great pains with it.  You don't have to soak Barley.  Because I love Split Pea Soup, I will also make some of that.  That will be the end of the soup making.

The Farmer's Market is going to open Saturday morning.  I think I will go see what they will have.  What I hate about the local Farmer' Market is that they are importing veggies from Mexico and down South.  You can see all the empty shipping cartons behind their tents, so you  know that you are being bamboozled into thinking your getting local produce.

I will clean up the kitchen tomorrow except for the things that must be done to avoid anything that might become stinky overnight.  I set the crock pot to soak.  I emptied out the canner, but am saving a few little things to clean tomorrow.  That old canner is one heavy container...they don't make them like that anymore.

I am going to bed fairly soon as I got up fairly early and am fairly tired...fairly.

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

Hahaha love your post this morning!! And good timing too as it reminds me I have to go pick some more black raspberries at Win's today. I am just washing them and freezing them for now. Once I get enough gathered together I will make jelly with them. Yummy!! Nothing like homemade jellies.

I have had experiences like you with your canning. You know you have everything you need but go to use it and something is missing and can't be found! Then you have to scramble to find or replace the missing item. But boy is it worth it in the end.

We have a fella at our farmers market that uses those commercial boxes but it actually is his own home grown produce. He has a business in Decatur about 25 miles south of here and has several gardens around the city that he and family raise all their produce on. He also has several green houses. I imagine he probably slips in some stuff he bought else where but for the most part it is all his. So it might be that some of them are just using the commercial boxes but are indeed local grown. I think a gardener can tell the difference.

I have counseling this morning then going to try to get some much needed weeding done in the garden while it is still cool out.

Have a great day!
Love, Alice