Thursday, June 2, 2011

"STUFF IS GETTING BETTER"

I didn't get much done today due to that pulled muscle which is still bothering me.  I did what I had to do; wash dishes, water plants, put a small load of cloths through the washing machine.  I did go to the library to take a book back and donate a couple of items for the sales table.  After that I stopped and got a few groceries and dragged them home.

On Monday I am having the carpet in the living room shampooed and the couch done, as well.  I hope that the couch can be salvaged and that the black stain can be removed.  I really can not afford a new couch.

  I paid my home owners insurance today.'though I was tempted to just drop it.  However, you never know what the future holds and if I ever need to file a claim again...something is better than nothing.

I plan on making a big pot of homemade bean soup tomorrow or the next day.  I need to go back to the store and get some carrots and onions as I forgot them today.

The grocery store was overflowing with shoppers.  I guess because it was payday today and tomorrow, all the checks will be out and everyone is stocking up.  I saw one woman literally throwing lots of meat into her cart.  There is a "sale" of "5 for $19.95" for various cuts of meat.  That is not necessarily a real bargain because if you buy your meat in individual packages according to your needs or usage, you will save more that way.  I don't think a roll of sausage is worth $5 bucks.  What I did buy was a package of chunk ham and a package of meaty neck bones for my bean soup.  I love homemade bean soup or pea soup.  My mother made the best homemade pea soup with a ham bone.  You can hardly find one (ham bone) anymore.

I am not following the sales much now.  There just does not seem to be any real deals to be had.  Gas went up a good 10 cents overnight.  "The powers that be" are cashing in on your checks, be they S.S., disability, welfare. or regular paychecks, fully aware that most recipients need to or must be out and about, buying groceries, medicines or other needs of daily living.  If anyone can possibly wait a week or so, some prices will come down.  The government will tell you "stuff is getting better," but it isn't.  Remember that quote...from "THE POSTMAN?"

My arm is very stiff and my neck and shoulder muscles are painful.. That is what you get when you get older.  LOL!
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

We have that deal on meat 5 for $20 all the time. It is decent meat though and if you pick through you can get your money's worth and then some. But you really have to know what the regular prices would be on the same size package. Typically, I will buy from that sale and then package things up in meal size and throw it in the freezer. There are some things that are not bargains so you have to pay attention.

I am hoping to get some work done in my garden this evening after it cools down a bit. The temperature is not real high right now but the humidity is.

Hope you have a great day!
Love ya, Alice