Saturday, June 4, 2011

DE-JUNKING

Today I am de-junking...again.  This time I am going at it with a vengeance and a scythe, hammer and nails and a big knife...sort of.  Anything that I have not used, looked at, old magazines and old mail, is going, going...gone.  I am finding some things that I thought I lost, forgot where I put or just plain forgot that I even had the stuff.  Some things I am keeping separate to go through later and think about whether I want to keep said objects(s) or not.  I think NOT will be the key criteria here.

It is definitely way too dangerous to work outside so this is a good time to be doing odd jobs in.  Even though the A/C is running flat out it is still warm and humid within.  I have stepped out a few times, but I stepped right back in again.  It is 99 F. out there, a near record. I still need to put fresh water into the bird bath and put the old water(full of fertilizer!)on my pepper plants.

I was happy to find that one of the sweet potato plants is putting forth shoots and leaves, almost overnight.  I have three more "slips" that may...look like...they are about to do the same.  If I have four productive plants I will be a happy tatter eater.  I have put out 13 plants and had a bumper crop, more than I needed and some went bad before I could use them up.

For some that have been getting their gardens out late; not to worry for the most part... unless you are hoping to have cold weather plants that will bolt in the heat.  Potatoes can be planted twice, as a spring crop or what is known as a "fall garden."  These, like lettuce and radishes and other spring crops, can be planted in the fall when it is cooler.

This area of Ky. is noted for it's extremes.  It can be extremely rainy and wet, or windy and cold, severe storms or droughts.  Toss in a few tornadoes here and there ...and you have the KY State.  Oops, I forgot. Ky. is not a state...it is a Commonwealth.

I saw two people out "running" in this intense heat, inviting a heat stroke or a heart attack.  This intense heat will bring on intense storms.

Even though it was almost dark out the birds were flying in for fresh water.  Hot, hot, hot a lot.

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good morning Mabel,

We had that same intense heat here yesterday, so like you I have also been de-junking and organizing. I will do some more when I get home from church today as those intense storms came rolling in last night and it is still raining. I will have a lot to go to the trash this week. It needed to be done.

I did not plant sweet potatoes this year but my russets are coming up like gang busters. I sure hope my friend gets that bale of straw for me soon.

I did some repair work on my computer yesterday and also need to do more on that. One day this week I am shutting it down to do a complete recovery on the hard drive. Not sure which day yet, depends on weather and appointments, LOL. I also hope to have my office set up the right way this week too, but again it depends on weather, because when the weather is good I will be in the garden.

I am way behind on garden work but there is not much I can do about it. I went out yesterday morning but didn't last long before the humidity was choking me and had to come back in.

Hope you have a wonderful day.
Love, Alice