Saturday, June 25, 2011

MOVING ON

I went to The Animal Fair...oops, I mean Farmers Market.  There isn't much available yet other than Crook Neck Squash and Green Beans.  I did buy 2 little muffins for a buck.  Later they will have more produce.

I ran into a friend who had run for City Mayor  last fall and lost.  It is still a Man's world, isn't it.  She took the lose very hard as she poured so much into it.  She stopped coming to our TP meetings and gained weight.  I was glad to see her.  She has put out 45 tomato plants and said she would sell me some when they get ripe.  Today she was running a booth for free door prizes...of course, you have to win first!  The door prizes are little boxes of fresh herbs.

Another lady had a both with local honey, but it is really expensive, even for a tiny jar.  I recently got a whole qt. for what she was charging for a small container.  I moved on.  Very small Zucchini bread was selling for $5.00 dollars.  The little loaves were about 1/3 the size of a regular loaf of home made bread.  Again, I moved on. 

As it is the first day of the Farmer's Market, I thought the prices were a bit high.  But(never start a sentence with a but)as Bill Clinton said "It's the economy, stupid."  I will say one thing about the economy 'though, gas prices are $3.29 right now.  The stock market is way down and oil prices are down with the stocks.  Got stocks?  I cashed mine out in favor of paying bills off in the face of retirement.  Now I have a new computer to pay for.

Going back to "But."  The reason you are not supposed to start a sentence with a "but" is because it is a conjunction, pulling two parts of a sentence together.  "But" we all do it, including me!  I had Mrs. Fenstermacher for an English teacher way back when.

  I am crock potting chicken bones, skins, fats and neck bones for making broth for my next batch of soup.  I will keep adding to it just as the French do.
The bones are loaded with calcium and bone marrow.  Later, I will need to de-bone any of the meat from the bone.  My time is my own so there is no hurry.  I need to decide which I want to make: Barley or Split Pea Soup.

Last year a can of soup coast $.50 cents or less if on sale.  This year the same soup will run you about$1.50 unless you can find a sale.  The only thing you can't process(pressure cook)in your home made soup is pastas, but you can do cooked(chicken and) rice.  Thus, I make home made soup for winter or when you just can't afford to buy food at a store.  You all know how I hate going out in the winter.  As for buying food, when I went to the Dollar Tree yesterday...a lot of the shelves were bare.  

The Bone Soup is de-fleshed and in the refrigerator.  What?  You never heard of Bone Soup?  Then you have never heard of the Great American Depression or Post WW ll in Germany or the siege of Russia during the war.  Hope that you never need to know of such history.  Anyway, the Bone Soup will wait until Monday to become real soup and canned.  Tomorrow is Sunday and I won't be working too hard...a day off from worldly toils.

I read today that wheat prices are about to take off like crazy because of all the droughts, flooding and poor yields...and that people are making "pasta runs" or stocking up.  You can count on your favorite brew becoming more expensive, too.  Boo Hoo on that one.

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

I am planning on doing a lot of canning this year too. Winter will be rough financially, especially for me this year so whatever I can get stocked up now will really help out then. And like you, I don't go out much in winter if I can help it.

I do remember bone soup. Also a lot of cheap pasta, well it was cheap back then, LOL. You do what you have to to get through rough times but it is a bit easier if you plan and prepare ahead of time.

Have a restful day in the Lord!Love, Alice