Thursday, June 30, 2011

Have canner...will can.

The Split Pea Soup is done and canned.  I
processed 5 pts.  I didn't have quite enough for the 6th pt.  So...I ate it.  Yes, it is good.  I only made a small batch because of the heat, but hope to make another batch later.

I am running out of jars, both pints and quarts.  I will have to buy some or if I am lucky, I may find some at The Good Will Store.

My next job will be making the Barley Soup, but I will rest a couple days.  I have perspired enough for a couple of days.

I got the mower's battery charged, but it is spewing oil like a big old Mack diesel truck.  I will have to try to see what is wrong with it on Saturday.  I also want to go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday and see what is available.

Beverly is home from the hills...Colorado, that is.  She got sick and doesn't feel very well at the moment.  Nope, she didn't find any gold in those hills, but I think she had a good time and so did Stu.  He went flying in a vintage WW11 trainer.  Zoom!

Tomorrow is the last day to pay my insurance.  I guess I better get that taken care of, but I don't want to because the premiums went up quite a bit.

Because the canner is old...almost as old as I am...I have to keep a close eye on it.  The pressure fluctuates.  It does need a new pressure gauge, but I can't afford one right now.  It is the original gauge and is about 60 years old.  I did replace the rubber ring/seal.  I watch it carefully and adjust the heat accordingly.

While I am sitting in the Dungeon(kitchen)I can watch the birds make use of the bird bath.  Like people, some will share the and some won't.  The biggest bully is the Grackle.  The Grackle is a fair sized bird with black feathers and iridescent purple neck plumage.  It looks like a crow and is a pest like a crow.  There are also pretty Doves that come to the bird bath.  They are a sharing bird, but are often frightened off by noise or a bigger bird.  I have never understood how Dove hunting could be considered a sport.  They are hardly big enough for a meal, so why kill them?

I smell like gas and oil fumes.  I better get a shower.  Have canner, will can.  Have mower, won't mow.   

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

You are way ahead of me on canning right now, but my day will come soon. I have 25 lbs of beets coming from the local grocers. They are going to sell them to me at cost because I know them. My beets are not fairing well in the garden because of the late planting and heat, so this will be good to get them so cheap.

Seems like my days have been filled with job hunting and yard work. But now that the heat has rolled back in again if force I will turn my attention to jobs in the house again. Seems never ending!!

Hope you have a good day!
Love, Alice