Thursday, June 16, 2011

Locked in...not out

I have managed a time or two to lock myself out of the house, but never did I manage to lock myself in...until today.  The one time I locked myself out was in the winter in a sleet storm when I went out to feed two pet ducks in my PJ's.  I had to break out the window on the back door with a brick, reach in and unlock the door.  Another time I had to remove a window, crawl in and unlock the back door.  I couldn't break the door window because I had replaced it with Plexiglas.  Try breaking that stuff.  The last time I locked myself out I had to call the PD to come and help me get in late at night after work.  You just don't want to be seen breaking glass and crawling through a window after 12 A. M. in the morning.  I don't, anyway.

This morning was a bit different.  I couldn't get the back door open.  Something of the machinations of the deadbolt lock wouldn't work.  I could have got out the front way, but then I couldn't get into the back porch which is also locked from within  via the outer storm door.  Of course, that is exactly where all (most) of my tools are.  What to do...what to do.

I do have a small box of tools inside for inside stuff.  So...with a hammer, a Phillip's Head screw driver, a lot of fussing, and a cold chisel I did get the dead bolt lock off and out the back door.  A burglar or a bad guy would have to be very determined and make a little noise to get into my house.  However, I now need a new lock and they are not all that cheap.

After working out in the yard I needed to cool off so I watched a video of Casablanca starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, an old black and white classic.  It was worth watching over again as it is timeless.  Gone with the Wind, if you can find it in black and white, is also a timeless classic.  Both are better without colorization.

It wanted to rain, but Mother Nature just couldn't work up enough local moisture.  It spit  once or twice and gave up.  Now, we could use a little rain occasionally.
END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good morning Mabel!!

I can't say I have been locked out or especially locked in, LOL. That is a cute story. Sorry you had to break the lock though. I have had to change a few locks in my day and they can be a real problem at times.

We are to get rain the next few days on and off. Its making the weeds grow good in my garden and the earliest I will be able to get in there is Monday morning.

I got the two desks moved yesterday into my office but not without pulling another muscle in my back. :-( These are huge professional office desks and very heavy. They were given to me last fall. I am grateful to have them but hope I never have to move them again!!

When I get back from counseling today I am going to finish re-arranging my dining room and getting that back in order. At least there is no heavy furniture to move, LOL. I need to throw the bedding into the wash and run the vacuum and then I am taking tomorrow off to recover from all this work, LOL.

Hope you have a great day and don't over do it. You tend to push yourself like I do.

Love you, Alice