Monday, June 20, 2011

Computers, cooking garden and stuff

I'm getting ready to make and then can homemade bean soup.  It will take a couple of days for everything to come together.  I am soaking the beans now and will rinse and change the water a few times before I make and can the soup.  There is nothing better than home made soups.

I went to the eye Dr. this afternoon.  The pressure is on the high side of normal, but the pressure in the right eye is better.  I paid a co-pay of $40.00, then  I stopped at the store for some groceries and spent $20.00.  Who eats better...him or me?  Me...because I can cook and I think he is an old bachelor and as skinny as a rail.

I have stopped buying Nestle's Coffee Creamer.  Half the time I can't find it and it is getting too expensive.  I am buying reg. milk by the qt.  The reason I am only buying a qt. at a time is because a gallon, while cheaper, will not "keep" in this hot humid weather.

While I am still using this old Dell for now, I have my new little Acer 99% set up and going.  I am having problems getting it to connect to the Internet without using an Ethernet cable.  To connect by the Ethernet cable I have to sit in the living room because that is where the router is, by the TV.  It is not at all convenient, but it will connect.  The tech. people dont' know why it won't connect from here where I sit, without the Ethernet cord.

The Acer I bought, while it is "new" is an older model, something they wanted to get off the shelves.  I paid $278.00 for it.  It doesn't not have a slot for a sandisk, but I think I can get an add on peripheral later...when I have more money.  This year has been a drain on the money pot, if there ever was one.

As I was straining and rinsing  the beans I remembered that you really don't need to buy bean seeds..You can buy a bag of beans at the store, soak them overnight, then gently plant them.  They start to sprout within just a few hours.  And this is an excellent way to get a quick start on a summer or early fall garden.

I checked my plants and it looks like the cucumber plant has been bitten or damaged.  One tomato plant is missing and also one pepper plant has grown legs and walked away. I know there is a least one wild rabbit living under the shed and those black Grackles will pull plants up, too.

Anyway, I guess we have to share with all God's creatures, great and small.

 END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

I am not partial to beans but I do agree homemade soup is the best!! Can't wait to get my canning going here too.

Today I am taking the computer offline right after I do a few things and I am going to do a complete recovery and get it back to the bare bones like new. Have to save everything I want to keep to disk first though. I am hoping this works as the computer has been starting to mess up lately. Besides I want it cleaned up for the job I am going to start.

I also need to get out and do some yard work. Right now it is sunny but rains and storms are heading this way. And this computer has really got to be done today before something happens and it crashes. I would not want that!!

If everything goes OK, I should be back online tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Hope you have a great day!
Love, Alice