Tuesday, June 21, 2011

STORMY WEATHER

We had some thunderstorms this afternoon and it broke the heat.  We really didn't get a lot of rain with it, just a lot of thunder and wind. Someone else got the better part of it as it was rolling in from the west and seemed to be headed toward Owensboro.

I ventured out before the storm and went to Radio Shack to buy a couple of memory disks for this new computer.  I still have not got it set up to get on the Internet directly via wifi and am using the Ethernet cord.  I need to call the tech. guys again.

I will change the water the beans are soaking in one more time before I start cooking and canning them tomorrow.  Beans are a great source for protein, vitamins, and minerals, but I like to add small diced potatoes, chopped ham and a couple of onion soup pouches for added flavor.  Most people do not add potatoes to bean soup, but you do need some starches in your diet.  When the beans are cooked I will use a blender to make it creamy, then re-heat it for canning.  I just can't decide if I want to use pint jars or quart jars.  I'll let you know how it turns out

Canning vegetables is not hard.  You need a good canner or a big boiler, be able to read directions and have good sense.  I prefer the big pressure cooker over the open kettle boiler.  Both are time consuming, but when your done you know what you have and what is in your food.  The pressure cooker is really the safest way to cook vegetables and meat.  When you open up a can of commercially prepared food you don't know what you are getting.

High acid foods , such as jams, jellies, and pickles and pickled veggies, can be processed by the boiling, open kettle method.

Guess what I really like to make...home made wine.  I make pretty good wine.  The problem is...I give it all away.  I can't remember when I last had a glass of wine.  Now, with the price of sugar getting higher, I won't be making any for a while.

As I do not have much to write about I guess I will wind this post up, check my spelling and post it.  Did I tell you I like commas,,,,?  I really do like,,,'s.

END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Mabel!!

I have not made wine before but would like to try it sometime. I use the pressure canner for all my canning of veges. I really need a bigger one or perhaps another one the same size and can get two batches done at the same time. As you said there are some things that can be canned in a boiling water bath.

A good source for the first time canner is the Ball Bluebook of Canning. They have pretty good recipes that you can adjust according to your taste as well as step by step directions for canning. Actually, that is how I learned to can, just following that book.

I have a few errands to fun this morning and then I am going to get my computer moved into the room that is now going to be my office. I finally got all the bugs worked out of it but will have to replace the cd drive. Not that big of a deal. I will get it ordered today after my errands.

Need to get more straw for the garden on Friday too. I have some small Roma tomatoes on the vines now, but not on the celebrities yet.

Have a good day!
Love, Alice