Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Five for for the money?

I went to the store this afternoon  thinking to get the five meats for $20.00 bucks deal, but came away with two nice ham butts instead.  They sliced them for me and now I need to separate the two big packages into smaller packages and put them in the freezer.  By just buying the two ham butts the price came out just about the same as I was thinking of spending for the "five for 20" deal, anyway.

I ate some of my bean soup that was left over from the other day's canning.  It tasted pretty good and will taste even better when the snow flies and the geese cry as they head south with the elderly "snow birds." 

I guess tomorrow I will start the Split Pea soup in the crock pot.  I like the crock for canning because I can go directly from the crock pot, to ready hot jars and lids, right into the canner.  While the crock pot its doing its thing I can be outside doing my thing...like mowing the yard.

I learned a new trick with the blender and I want to post it in pictures later.  My blender is about 40 years old now and is still going strong.  I hope to find another one at a yard sale or at the Good Will store, as a back up.

After I get all my canning done it will be time to get some home made bread baked and into the freezer.  It should be cooler by then, too.

That reminds me; I got my electric bill...yikes!   My auto insurance is due and I have been putting that off to the very last minute...and the last minute is here.
                        END

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good morning Mabel,

I will be heading out to physical therapy this morning. I got both my lawn and my landlord's lawn at the house next door mowed yesterday. I used his riding mower, LOL. Today I will have to get the weed whacker out when I get back.

I use my crock pot a lot too. They sure do come in handy!!

Sounds like a deal on those hams. We have the 5 for $20 deal on meat here too but you really have to watch the packages and compare them to the prices at the regular meat counter. Sometimes the regular meat is on a better sale. But I have gotten some pretty good bargains in the 5 pack deal too.

Prices on food are shooting up here again as I am sure they are all over. It gets really depressing at times. Glad I am frugal and watch what I am buying and also one who stocks up. It really does stretch the food budget quite a bit.

Well, I need to get a few things done then run out the door. Hope you have a great day!

Love, Alice